If whatever I am legitimately doing triggers the healthy release of chemicals in my brain that induce pleasure and/or happiness, then this activity is most likely meaningful. Some activities take hard work and so gratification is not always instant, but can be more enduring. Serotonin (happiness), oxytocin (love) and dopamine (pleasure) are some of the main ‘brain chemicals’ we are after and they are released whenever we consciously engage in activities that include any combination of the following core values: Intimacy; Compassion and Contribution; Play and Creativity; Achievement; and Health.
Here are some useful questions to help us consciously re-engage with our meaningful activities:
- Who do I value and love to spend time with?
- How do I value teamwork and courtesy with others?
- How do I value my recreation and play?
- How do I acknowledge stages of accomplishment for all that I value?
- How do I value my exercise, diet and sleep?